Personal Development Portfolio
What is a Personal Development Portfolio (PDP)?
A PDP is a collation of evidence and reflection that enables dental professionals to identify learning needs and record their training in a suitable format.
- Produce a framework for meeting training needs
- Produce evidence that something useful has been learned
- Provide an appropriate record of reflection on learning
- Demonstrate that the required professional and systematic approach to CPD is in place
- Assist in the development of a structured career pathway in primary and secondary care
Why is a PDP necessary?
- It is a clinical governance and GDC requirement that dental professionals produce a PDP
- PDPs will be central to future GDC revalidation
- They will provide evidence of learning and training for future employers
- It is now necessary to reflect on learning and training undertaken and record this
How do I produce a PDP?
- Analyse your strengths and weaknesses
- Start by choosing one subject area where you feel improvement is required
- Identify the means by which this can be achieved (ie lectures, courses, diplomas, literature reading etc)
- Estimate the time frame for achievement
- Repeat for other identified areas where improvement is required
- Start a new plan every year
Electronic PDPs have many advantages over paper based evidence:
- Easy to collate information in the correct format using the pre-set proforma
- Accessible on-line from any computer
- Can’t lose important evidence
- Contents can be printed out as paper copy
- Contents can be sent electronically to third parties
- GDC are moving towards e-PDPs
- Can inform the Deanery directly of your training requirements
For further information about the Deanery's ePDP and how to register please see the ePDP guide and order form.